Enjoy cooking
Tried and tested recipes.
Home » , , » Chicken Curry With Corn Paste

Chicken Curry With Corn Paste

Written By bakinggncookingg on Friday 6 April 2018 | 07:00


Serving tasty, nutritious and diverse varieties of chicken on a daily basis is a difficult task by itself! Difficult but not impossible. In a situation, where “no option” is the only choice, ‘difficult’ is just another word and ‘impossible’ is a state of mind only.

In the initial years of my cooking I used to follow recipes from different sources, as my personal knowledge in this field was limited. After spending over two decades in the kitchen, I still cannot claim expertise, but I can to an extent aver that I am adequately experienced in this field. And because of this vast experience I do dare to follow my own recipes nowadays. The advantage of following one’s own recipe is that one does not have to memorize the process as whatever is created turns out to be original!

My today’s chicken recipe is unique and exquisite and contains the goodness of corn. Long time back I found this recipe in one of Neeta Mehta’s cookbooks in a bookstore in an airport while travelling. So no way could I write it down. Later when I tried it out, I really had to exercise my brain and on my very first attempt I actually deviated from the original recipe to a large extent!




Serves: 6

Preparation Time: ½ hour

Cooking Time: 20 minutes (approximately)


INGREDIENTS:

1. Chicken: 1 kg (small, cut into medium pieces)
2. Sweet corn: 1 cup
3. Onion: 1 large finely chopped.
4. Ginger-garlic paste: 2 tbsp
5. Bay leaves: 2
6. Garam masala (cloves...3-4, cinnamon...2 small sticks, green cardamom...3-4)
7. Milk: ½ cup
8. Green chillies... according to taste.
9. Coriander leaves...
10. Oil: 5 tbsp


 MARINADE:

1. Curd: ½ cup
2. Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
3. Corriander powder: 1 tsp
4. Cumin powder: ½ tsp
5. Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
6. Salt: ½ tsp


METHOD:


1. Marinate chicken in the above mentioned marinades for 1 hour.
2. Grind corn with milk and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a wok. Add bay leaves, chopped onions and ginger-garlic paste and fry till oil separates.
4. Add garam masala. Fry for another 1-2 minutes.
5. Add marinated chicken. Mix well. Cook it on high flame for 3-4 minutes.
6. Cover and cook on medium heat till chicken is cooked. Add green chillies.
7. Add corn-milk paste and cook on medium flame for few more minutes. Cover and cook for another 5-6 minutes till the gravy thicken adequately.
8. Add coriander leaves.
9. Serve with Rumali roti or Lachha parantha.          

 Authors Note:

1. Boneless chicken can also be used.

2. When in a hurry, I have often made this chicken without marinating. Though marinating with curd makes it more succulent no doubt.

3. Adjust flame of gas from medium to high with care as high flame leading to burning will result in the change of color.

4. Fresh corn can also be used though frankly speaking I have always used frozen one for convenience.

5. When I skip marinating, I grind corn with curd and later use less quantity of milk to maintain the balance in taste.

So is the recipe very complicated? I am sure it is not. It is a very flexible recipe as whichever way you make this, it will taste yummy. On days when I feel lethargic and am in no mood to spend hours in the kitchen, this recipe comes to my rescue. No other side dish is required to supplement it. A bowl of fresh salad.... freshly made roti or parantha and this unique yet simple chicken in corn paste will surely treat your taste buds with requisite satisfaction!  Happy cooking....😊







SHARE

About bakinggncookingg

"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it." This quote describes me aptly. I am a hands on mom who entered the kitchen as a necessity after marriage with the sole cooking experience of making tea. Born in a Bengali family where emphasis was only on higher education we were actually discouraged to even enter the kitchen ! so naturally I grew up with a complete indifference to cooking which later on developed into aversion as I entered adulthood ! But the picture changed completely after marriage . Being married to a person whose profession demands lots of "khana & khilana" i was left with no other option but to set aside my aversion .... and over a period of two decades I didn't even come to know when it turned into my passion ..! But it's my children who extracted the best out of me! Their strong taste buds & particular likes & dislikes made this journey more challenging...& the saga continues.. A note of thanks to my dear friend without whose constant encouragement & threat this venture wouldn't have been possible ! Thanx buddy !

0 comments :