Enjoy cooking
Tried and tested recipes.

Bhapa pithe ( Steamed Pithe)

Written By bakinggncookingg on Tuesday 6 February 2018 | 20:21


Come winter and all Bong minds yearn for Nolen Gur( freshly extracted date syrup).... and of course pithe puli! Pithe (or pitha ) is a type of Bengali homemade sweetmeat mostly prepared during ‘Makar Sankranti’. It’s not that pithe can not be made in other seasons but the fresh nolen gur, newly harvested rice n the cold pleasant climate help conjure the perfect mood to enjoy this delicacy! Its primarily prepared from a batter of rice flour or wheat flour (or a combination of both) with a stuffing ( pur) of coconut or khoya, dryfruits,sugar or jaggery. Depending upon the types of pithe it can be fried in oil or ghee, slow roasted over fire, boiled in milk, steamed or baked!

In my parents’ house, however, pithe used to be prepared during Saraswati Puja! Looking back during our childhood days, I still remember, it used to be a mega event to prepare this bong delicacy. All female members used to get together on the previous evening to make 5-6 types of pithes to celebrate the occasion! Years went by, family size got reduced and with that the grandeur of pithe utsav too gradually receded in my parents’ house. Nevertheless my mom tried her best to religiously follow the tradition... albeit the number of varieties reduced as it was virtually impossible for her to prepare everything single handed!

While growing up we were discouraged to enter the kitchen so that we could concentrate on studies! But occasional sneak peek into the kitchen and there I had my first encounter with a particular pithe, called bhapa pithe or steamed pithe, which my mom used to find it difficult to manage alone! So just to help her out I entered the kitchen with no intention what so ever of learning! Little did I know that years later this experience would help me replicate this delicacy in my kitchen!

After marriage I moved out of Kolkata and started losing touch with our tradition! Though whenever I used to come home, my mom always made it a point to make bhapa pithe, irrespective of whether it was winter or summer and I used to invariably lend her a helping hand even then. Not with standing, I still did not have an inclination to learn the procedure as I knew it was impossible for me to grasp this complicated procedure! But we actually do not know our potential until we face the situation when we are left with no other option but to accept the challenge! This is exactly what happened to me! 










Bhapa pithe, as it is called, or the steamed pithe, is the most complicated and yet the most delicious, unique and healthiest of all the pithes I have ever come across! This delicacy is purely made of rice flour and should be served with milk mixed with nolen gur! Its uniqueness lies in its very making and the container in which it is prepared! It is prepared in the empty shells of coconut.  Alternately it can be made in small steel bowl too!






Makes... 10.
Cooking Type.... Dessert
Cooking Time.... 20 min
Preparation Time... ½ hour to 40 min
Ingredients:
v  Rice (raw or boiled)...3 cups
v  Salt... ½ tsp
v  Water... for kneading the rice flour
v  Milk.... 1 litre
v  Nolen gur or khajoor gur (alternately date syrup)... According to taste.

 Method:
v  Soak rice overnight.
v  Next morning discard the water and spread the rice on a news paper to soak the extra water for at least an hour.
v  Finely dry grind the rice, there should be no granules at all.
v  Empty the rice powder on to a large container.
v  Put some salt.
v  Add just enough water to bind the rice flour and knead it lightly. Bind it to ball shape.
v  Take a steel strainer with tiny holes (alternately use grater) and grate the rice balls lightly.
v  Fill the coconut shells with the grated flour, do not overload.
v  Put a muslin cloth to wrap the shell around.
v  Put it in steamer and steam on high flame for 20 minutes.
v  After approximately 10 minutes take them out, remove the cloth carefully and empty the shell in a plate.






So here was my small attempt to invoke our age old tradition! In our attempt to try out new types of food especially fusion food, somewhere, we have forgotten our roots. The new generation is too obsessed with fast food to even think of giving such traditional recipes a try! My children too have not developed a taste for such traditional delicacies as they find it to be messy. But it is so satisfying to try out these forgotten recipes sometimes. It is true that these types of food need lot of patience and perseverance to prepare. But the happiness and satisfaction I derived on serving it to my parents is beyond words! And if we can try our hands in experimenting foods from across the world why not make some effort to invoke our very own traditions once in a while?




SHARE

About bakinggncookingg

"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it." This quote describes me aptly. I am a hands on mom who entered the kitchen as a necessity after marriage with the sole cooking experience of making tea. Born in a Bengali family where emphasis was only on higher education we were actually discouraged to even enter the kitchen ! so naturally I grew up with a complete indifference to cooking which later on developed into aversion as I entered adulthood ! But the picture changed completely after marriage . Being married to a person whose profession demands lots of "khana & khilana" i was left with no other option but to set aside my aversion .... and over a period of two decades I didn't even come to know when it turned into my passion ..! But it's my children who extracted the best out of me! Their strong taste buds & particular likes & dislikes made this journey more challenging...& the saga continues.. A note of thanks to my dear friend without whose constant encouragement & threat this venture wouldn't have been possible ! Thanx buddy !

0 comments :